This salad might sound a little strange or off-putting, but give it a try. I was skeptical at first, but now I can’t get enough of it. It’s a bright, summery flavor that’s perfect for the coming spring and summer weather.
You can use whatever kind of mangoes are convenient for you. I like champagne mangoes and can get them by the box at the local Asian market.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and julienned
- 1/2 of a napa cabbage, sliced very thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews, chopped