I made this for dinner yesterday for a quick, easy weeknight meal. It came together in a jiffy and was a great meal to have on a snowy evening! This is a lightened up version of casserole, but I thought it was great. It’s rich and creamy but not overly heavy. With a bit of planning ahead, or some grocery store shortcuts, this can come together in less than 20 minutes. But even if you’re working from scratch, you’ll still have this meal on the table in less than an hour.
Adapted from Cooking Light magazine (January/February 2014)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (6oz) pkg button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 1/2-3 cups chopped, skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 2 chicken breasts roasted-could use rotisserie chicken)
- 5 cups small broccoli florets (you can use a steam-in-bag), steamed
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until the onions and mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle mixture with flour and cook for 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk and bring to a boil for about 3 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.
Stir in the cooked chicken and broccoli, and heat through. Remove pan from heat and stir in yogurt, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Top with cheeses.
Turn broiler on high and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.