This is a great easy salad. I decided to leave out the suggested feta from the original recipe, but I think that would be a wonderful flavor addition, or goat cheese! This also makes a huge quantity (and is easy to make more or less of), so it’s great for potlucks or parties.
Adapted from Closet Cooking
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups pearl barley
- 2 1/2 lbs baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 large vidalia onions, roughly chopped
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
- feta or goat cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Rinse the barley and add to a large pot. Add water to the pot and bring to a boil, let simmer until barley is tender and water is absorbed.
Spread green beans, mushrooms, and onions out on large baking sheets, drizzle with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper; mix around with your hands. Bake for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown.
Mix everything together in a large bowl, top with walnuts and/or cheese if using. Serve hot or room temperature.