I have a problem. I am completely unable to estimate amounts. For the Seekers luncheon we had enough food to feed at least 100 (I’m halving all the amounts I used for a more realistic serving size). However it’s really hard to guess how much a recipe will make. For example, the recipe for this slaw says it serves at least 8, but when I quadrupled it it made enough to serve at least 80. I’m sure part of the problem is what one serves with it, you’re probably not going to take as much slaw if you’re having other salads as opposed to how much you’d take if it was the only salad and you were having burgers.
If you have any advice on how to estimate serving amounts I could definitely use the help! I’m going to try to start thinking about how much will fill a plate, but I can use a lot of help in this area!
Serves 45-50 maybe
Adapted from The Kitchn
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2-3 large bunches cilantro, chopped
- 6-7 limes, juiced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 1/3 cup oil (I used half canola and half olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste (at least 1 tsp each)
Combine cabbage, carrots and cilantro in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. An hour before serving pour dressing over the slaw and mix well.