I was very intrigued when I first saw this salad. It’s a really unique combination of ingredients that I would have never thought to combine, but I like them all separately, so how could it be bad? It is DELICIOUS! Such a wonderful fresh spring salad! You’ll definitely want to give it a try!
Slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 large (29oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 large grapefruits, divided into segments and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 bag frozen corn, thawed (or 3 ears fresh corn, kernels chopped off)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, minced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Toast quinoa in a small saucepan for about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the stove and let cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
In a large bowl, combine black beans, shallot, grapefruit, bell pepper, corn, avocado, and cilantro. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add cooled quinoa to the salad, then pour dressing on. Mix well and serve.