For Tuesday’s dinner I decided to try making vegetarian Sloppy Joes. This was pretty challenging to get the right flavor without the flavor that the meat usually brings to the dish. But I think I created something pretty close.
Adapted from Rachael Ray
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 red onions, chopped
- 7 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans kidney beans, drained, rinsed and partially mashed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 vegan burgers, heated up and crumbled
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- 3 cans diced fireroasted or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute until tender. Mix in the beans and spices, season with salt and pepper. Add in the remaining ingredients and let simmer for one hour. Serve with whole wheat buns and dill pickles.
2 thoughts on “Sloppy Veggie Joes”
This looks intriguing! We made veggie sloppy joes a few weeks ago, but it was much simpler. Veggie crumbles, bell pepper, a basic sauce leaning heavily on BBQ sauce. Definitely have to try this one out.
That sounds good! If you try this version let me know how it compares. (Marian told me about your sloppy joes, so it inspired me)