Ever since my sister went vegetarian 6 or so years ago, I’ve always been on the look out for good substantial main dishes that I could make for her and her boyfriend. This casserole will be my new go-to dish.
My friend, Elan, and I had a cooking adventure this weekend and made this casserole to test it out before I made it for SCL. We both loved it! It comes together pretty quickly and is protein-packed!
Serves 7 (about 376 calories, 7g total fat, 21g protein)
Adapted from The Kitchn
- 3 (15oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 4 large shallots, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (not Greek yogurt)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 stalks fresh rosemary, (leaves only) minced
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Preaheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, combine first 8 ingredients (chickpeas through yogurt), mix well. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan, parsley, and rosemary, mix well. Pour mixture into a greased 9″x13″ pan or another 3-quart dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.